Securing investment is essential for the growth of any business – is your business investment ready?
STFC is opening up its investment readiness programme to allow more businesses to prepare for the investment journey, from understanding what investors are looking for, to common legal and contractual pitfalls and pitching best practice.
Ran by Ashby House, leaders in providing business support programmes, and with support from STFC which has incubated companies that have generated over £55 million in the last 8 years, the programme provides an exceptional opportunity for early-stage science and tech companies to increase the chance of success in an investment environment and to pitch to investors for the first time.
The programme will be held over two days (of which you must be able to attend both, 5th & 12th November) and will focus on building understanding and developing practical skills when it comes to pitching to investors, culminating in the opportunity to present to a panel of real investors.
Learning outcomes will include:
- Understand what an investment is in the eyes of an investor
- What investors are and what they are looking for
- How to get to investors and how they operate
- Preparing the resources required including the Information Memorandum, Business Plan, and Full Pitch
- The stages of the process including research, the approach, and the pitch through to due diligence, the contact and post investment investor management
- The legal and contractual pitfalls and how to avoid them
- Preparing for and managing the Due Diligence process
- Practice and perfect their investment pitch in front of seminar members and visiting investors.
Step 1: Complete your expression of interest by the 25th October. If successful your place will be confirmed no later than the 29th October.
Step 2: You will join a cohort of 12 companies for the two day programme on 5th & 12th November (attendance on both days is required)
Step 3: On completion of the two day programme you will be given an opportunity to practice your pitch in front of a panel (3-4 investment experts) who will provide constructive feedback and select approximately 8 companies to pitch to a panel of investors.
Step 4: If your company is selected, you will get the opportunity to pitch to real angel and private investors on the 26th November (circa 4-5)
Applications are invited from companies who are already incorporated and currently seeking or planning to seek external investment in the region of £150k - £750k, typically angel, Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme (SEIS)/ Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) investment or early stage venture capital.
Applicants will also need to demonstrate the following criteria:
- Engaged in R&D that will result in new, innovative products or services
- Market demand for the product – what problem is the business trying to solve
- Stage of development (technology/product/service)
- Goals to achieve over the next 1-2 years
Open to STFC CERN BIC companies past and present and others.
Expression of Interest – Please submit by no later than Friday 25th October